Saturday, October 22, 2011

studio 3

The first of September I became the new occupant of a favorite old studio near downtown Kearney.  This studio was previously the work space of my friend and fellow artist, calligrapher Art Pierce.  Art passed away this summer, at the age of 95.  His death, and life, is another story, but let us just say that he is missed. 

Arthur worked in his studio for 25 years, and I feel so fortunate that now I may carry on in his creative footsteps.  I am not a calligrapher.  I tried to take some lessons from Art several years ago, but learned (again!) that I don't much care for following directions.  I did have the good fortune to collaborate on several projects with Art.  In one instance, I painted several watercolor landscapes, and he scribed a wonderful Willa Cather quote on my paintings.  Another time, he created the copy for a t-shirt and poster design for an exhibit of hand-crafted boots at the Museum of Nebraska Art, and I completed the ink line drawing of a pair of cowboy boots.  And we both participated in all of the Cranes on Parade public art projects. 

I am confident that he is with me in spirit, and enthusiastically cheering me on.



No comments:

Post a Comment