Thursday, March 8, 2012

trees

This gorgeous tree lives across the alley from my friend Phyllis Thorne's art studio.  I know she has painted it many times.  Now I am attempting to paint it myself.  I have only just started, so I am not going to share the effort just yet.  I think it is an apricot, but I don't know for sure.  The name of the fruit is influencing my color choices.  We shall see how it progresses.  Who knows what will happen in the process?  That is the fun of creating.  The artistic process can just take you over, and totally take you by surprise.  I love it when that happens.  When I can just let go, quit worrying and caring,  and let the magic happen.

I have booked an exhibit at Tru Cafe in Kearney in July.  So far, the work I am producing involves trees.  And most of the trees are inhabitants of our property in Long Pine, Nebraska.  I have conflicting feelings about our home in Long Pine.  Our second home.  I find it a bit fragmenting to have two homes, separate friends, separate lives.  Wanting to be in two places at the same time.  Sometimes when Clint goes, I stay home.  Refuse to go.  I haven't been to Long Pine in awhile.

This apricot tree is in Long Pine.  And I am finding that I am wanting to go see it. Talk with it. Get to know it better as I am trying to create a painting of it.  I think Phyllis probably knows this tree much better than I, and probably it is time to go visit both new friends. Spend some time together, and lose myself in the process. 

This week I also had the great pleasure of re-connecting with a friend from about 30 years ago.  We lost touch many years ago, and it was such fun to find him again.  He was a mentor at one of my first jobs when I was very young and green.  One of his sayings that became a favorite of mine was "Sometimes the magic works, and sometimes it doesn't."

No comments:

Post a Comment